DVD: Avery's Duck Dog Basics 1 with Chris Akin
From choosing the right puppy all the way up to operning day, Chris Akin will show you the way in this 2.5-hour DVD to train your dog to be a retriever that sits steady and confidently retrieves birds. Train your retriever to be a truly incredible hunting companion.
As these DVDs are made in the USA, they are Region 1 DVDs. To play in Australia, you will need a region-free or multi-region DVD players.
Running time: 2.5 hours
Chapter One: Socialisation, Laying the Foundation
- Picking a Puppy & Pedigree
- Akin's Answers - What to do with my puppy?
- Fun Bumpers - "Hup Hups", retrieves on land
- Akin's Answers - What do I do with my puppy when I come home?
- Introduction to Water
- Introduction to Covers & Decoys
- Introduction to Birds
- Akin's Answers - Puppy Teeth?
- Introduction to Kennel
- Akin's Answers - When should formal training begin?
Chapter Two: Formal Training - Obedience & Collar Conditioning
- Introduction to Formal Training
- Formal Training - Tools
- Formal Training - Obedience
- Putting on Checkcord
- Sit/Stay & Here
- Sit/Stay & Here with a more advanced dog
- E-Collar Conditioning
- Putting on E-Collar
- Heel & Here
- Introduction to Gunfire
Please note: The use of the 'e'collar (Electric) is banned in some states in Australia and is also not a training device and method that we would personally use in the training of our dogs.
Chapter Three: Force Fetch -- Fetch, Hold and Leave
- Introduction to Force Fetch
- Teaching Force Fetch
- Akin's Answers - Can I continue to throw retrieves during Force Fetch?
- Force Fetch with a more advanced dog
- Force Fetch from the ground
- Walking Fetch
Chapter Four: Formal Marking - Steady to Singles & Doubles
- Introduction to Formal Marking
- Steady - Singles & Doubles
- Diversions - with a less advanced dog
- Akin's Answers - Socialize to your hunting environment
- Adding Distance
- Adding Birds
- Adding the Gun
- Akin's Answers - Making exceptions with friends and family
- Adding Water
- Akin's Answers - Teaching your dog his place
- Steadying - From the duck blind
- Akin's Answers - Taking the right steps on your pup's first few hunts
- Steadying - From the pit
- Akin's Answers - Pup's first hunt
- Good Luck!